.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Take 2...

On this day, 2 years ago, I was on my way to Canada to race the Tour de Beauce. At the time, I had no idea what to expect but I quickly discovered that Beauceville has very few flat roads and I suffered every day as I struggled to hang on when the roads went up. 

On the 2nd last stage, it got the better of me as I missed the time limit and consequently, registered a DNF for the race. I was disappointed but I was also glad it's over. 

I had hoped I would never have to go back and do the tour de Beauce again but as it turns out, I'm on my way back there right now. I am on the roster to race it again and to be honest, I'm not looking forward to it. 

I have looked at the race manual and it is exactly the same. And as a special reminder of my last experience, right there on the cover of the manual, is an image of me from 2011 suffering up a hill. 

We have been training on the roads in Northern Vermont and just like Beauce, there are no flat roads. I have been having flashbacks. There are times where I get a false sense of security and think 'this is not going to be a problem this time'. Then my team mates fly up the next hill and I have to work hard just to hang on.

The race starts tomorrow. I'll see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment